Sunday, March 4, 2018

Space: My first love

Space, this is the topic once again. Space, but the mediums of space and the fascination that we have so far come up to develop worlds and universes and such over dramatic Space Opera's (Yes, I'm looking at you Star Wars and Mass Effect) and how they impact our expectations on what to come in the near future. The influences and the people and companies that lead the forefront of pop culture hysteria over space and some of the unrealistic expectations that we have for it. Ranging from "cosmic titans" such as Mr. DeGrasse Tyson, and ole Musky (Elon Musk ;) ) and the "Logan Paul's" of the pop-space-culture and whether to tackle product, or substance.

My dad and I, at the sweet tender and impressionable age of ten, sat waiting and eager to rewind an old dusty copy of a little known series called "Cosmos". The credits and beginning theme of Cosmos began to roll and I was so enthralled by all the diagrams and local shots and each commentary to be made about space of which I already knew and some that I didn't and all of the jargon that came along with it. Mr. Carl Sagan, a man that I idol when it comes to space and physics, has shown me a great deal and have pushed my obsession with space even more through his myriad of facts and truths about the cosmos that I further wanted to explore. I sometimes wished that this kind of substance of space was encouraged more through my youth and not just with me. Don't get me wrong, I love having these expectations and possibilities that J.J. Abrams and other like minded Science Fiction juggernauts and video game moguls such as EA entertainment can produce for us as filler for the realities of humans going to Mars or traveling at light speed, it help opens ideas to new scientific discoveries like ole Musky shooting a car out to space that has already passed Mars. Fantasies can only push us so far and we have to remember as humans that we must focus on Earth and how to maintain life here before we can move on any further with other planets and other solar systems.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mars: the new Earth?

Mars is essentially humanities last hope. Although we don't particularly see it now, the planet we call home is slowly dying and disint...